Exploring New Features in Magento 2.3.4
Magento has released some major enhancements packaged as version 2.3.4. The Pre-release date was set as Jan 14, 2020, and the General Availability (GA) date was set as Jan 28, 2020. Turns out Magento Commerce customers can get the access two weeks before the announced GA date for 2.3.x patch. In this article, learn what new features and improvements have been included with the latest upgrade for both Magento Open source (formerly Community Edition) and Magento Commerce (formerly Enterprise Edition)
Per Magento Open Source & Commerce release notes,
This release includes over 220 functional fixes to the core product and over 30 security enhancements. It includes resolution of over 275 contributions by our community members. These community contributions range from minor clean-up of core code to significant enhancements to Inventory Management and GraphQL.
Following are some highlights of this release
Substantial security enhancements
Over 30 security enhancements have been deployed
- To close cross-site scripting (XSS) and remote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities
- Removal of custom layout updates and the deprecation of layout updates to eliminate the opportunity for Remote Code Execution (RCE)
- Introduces redesigned content template features so that only whitelisted variables can be added to templates
Magento recommends taking all necessary steps to protect your Admin, including but not limited to- IP whitelisting, two-factor authentication, use of a VPN, the use of a unique location rather than /admin, and good password hygiene
Major platform Upgrades
The following platform upgrades help enhance website security and PCI compliance.
- Enhancements to the message queue framework via the latest release of RabbitMQ v3.8
- Improved page caching and session storage tested on the latest stable release of Redis v5.0.6
- Enhanced support for MariaDB 10.2. by which we now have normalized values returned by MariaDB
- The core integration of the Authorize.net payment method has been deprecated. Magento recommends using the official payment integration that is available on Marketplace.
Merchants and customers will see performance improvements as a result of the below enhancements:
- Customer section invalidation mechanism has been refactored and banner cache logic improved in order to eliminate the redundant non-cached requests to the server on catalog pages
- PHTML files have been refactored to better support parsing by the bundling mechanism
- A new configuration setting (System Configuration > General > Reports > General Options) allows merchants to completely or partially disable Magento Reports
- Statistics collection for the Reports module is disabled by default
- Magento recommends disabling Reports functionality for performance reasons when this capability is not required
The 2.3.4 release contains 250 enhancements to core quality, which improve the quality of the Framework and select modules (catalog, sales, PayPal, Elasticsearch, import, and CMS)
Merchant tool enhancements
Integration with Adobe Stock image galleries that enables merchants to add high quality media assets to their website content without leaving the Magento Admin.
Live Chat powered by dotdigital enables merchants to increase conversion rates, and keep customers coming back with real-time engagement.
- All Magento 2.3.x merchants (both Magento Open Source and Magento Commerce) can receive a free live chat agent
Inventory Management enhancements for this release include:
- Addressed a known issue causing higher than expected loads on the database server.
- Updated the Inventory Reservations CLI command to reduce memory usage.
- Resolved quality issues related to credit memos, grouped products, source and stock mass actions.
Read this for more information.
This release includes improved GraphQL coverage for search, layered navigation, cart functionality. The following mutations/queries are available:
- Guest carts can now be merged with customer carts
- A customer can start an order on one device and complete it on another
- Layered navigation can use custom filters
- Search categories by ID, name, and/or URL key
To get a detailed understanding of the enhancements and security principles implemented, we encourage you to read the Magento release notes for Open Source & Commerce.
Contact us to learn more about this
How can you maintain a Magento website effectively?
Intro Magento is a power and widely preferred ecommerce platform due to its simplicity with which… Read More
Drupal Commerce vs Magento: What to choose for your business?
For digital businesses making the shift to online stores, there are no shortcuts to creating smooth… Read More
End-of-support dates for Magento Commerce 2.2.x you need to know
Magento (An adobe company) has announced end-of support for its older versions. Users are asked to… Read More
Upgrade to Magento 2 | Questions and Solutions about the Magento 2 Upgrade
With the announcement on Magento 1 end of support by June 2020, users of Magento 1 are eager to… Read More
How to align your approach with the emerging digital commerce platforms landscape?
There are numerous emerging digital commerce platforms available on the market these days.… Read More
Implementing a Headless E-Commerce Platform
Why should organizations look to implement a headless e-commerce platform? Well, reaching customers… Read More
Challenges in launching B2B Digital commerce sites
B2B digital commercial sites have not traditionally been a factor. Most often, you would encounter… Read More